Fertilizers: a Growing Problem
Fertilizer injestion is common with small animals, reports the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. In fact, calls about pets eating lawn and garden
products were among the top10 toxin calls to APCC in 2017.
Many fertilizers contain bone meal, fish meal or blood meal. Some even contain corn or corn cobs as a filler. Pets, especially dogs, find the contents of fertilizers quite tasty. Often they will tear the bags open to ingest the contents.
Many pets also ingest fertilizers that were placed outside on the lawn or in flower beds, so owners need to be careful about not letting pets out when lawn treatments are being done, and make sure any preparation is completely dry before the pets go outside.
Most fertilizer injestions cause mild GI upset and are not a huge concern,
but some fertilizers contain herbicides or, rarely, insecticides.
Some pets will ingest such a large amount that food blozt or GDV are concerns. There can also be muscle stiffness or soreness after ingestion. Finally, if the product is moldy, there may be tremors and seizures, if there were tremorgenic mycotoxins in the fertilizer
CBD, Hemp Pet Treat
Dangers & Overdose
Cannabinoid or CBD pet treats - which are also called hemp treatments-
oils and tinctures are becoming increasingly popular for both human use and pets as well.
These CBD products can be purchased online, through veterinary hospitals or at cannabis dispensaries.
CBD products are touted to treat everything from chronic pain, stiffness due to arthritis, anxiety and seizures.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center notes there are very few scientific studies looking at the efficacy and safety of CBD use in companion animals.
So what happens when the pets are given too many or they get into the bag?
It is important to differentiate CBD oil from cannabis oil, since cannabis oil contains high levels of THC and can cause serious clinical signs. Most CBD treats are labeled to contain a specific amount of CBD (often 2.5 or 5 mg/treat) and may claim to contain none or very minimal THC in the products.
The APCC reports an increase in calls about cannabinoid treat and tincture ingestion, largely in dogs. Many of the dogs who have eaten more treats or more of the tincture than was recommended have shown clinical signs post ingestion, and those signs tend to be very consisent with pets who have had THC overdoses.
Most Comonly Reported Signs:
Some pets with larger exposure have enen become recumbent
Treatment in affected pets is largely symptomatic and supportive. Mild cases may be managed at home; more significantly affected pets may benefit from IV fluids, antiemetics and good nursing care (such as warming in hypothermic patients).
PAWS PAVILION in PECOS
For more information, please call PAWS @ 505-466-1525.
(Located at the corner of Routes 50 and 63, Next to Frankie's Casanovas Restaurant)